I’ve pretty much given up sugar. Well, that’s the intention anyway. And the main question people ask when they find is ‘So what do you do for treats?’ Because in our culture, treats are often linked to sweet things. When I was growing up, my Dad used to keep a tin of sweets under his seat in the car as treats – well, as rewards for good behaviour really. That’s how I was brought up.
But if we believe any of the press around at the moment about the evils of sugar in our society, then how can a treat be something that is so clearly bad for us? What kind of treat is that if we’re giving our body something it struggles to cope with?
I still enjoy treats. Of course I do. Who doesn’t? It’s just that those treats don’t look like carrot cake and Krispy Kreme donuts and Double Deckers any more.
Here are a few of my favourite things:-
- Curling up on my bed for half an hour during the day reading a good book as the sunshine pours in through the window.
- Going to the cinema – one of my favourite things at the moment – cannot wait to see La La Land on Friday!
- Fresh raspberries
- A massage
- Being in water – a pool or a bath
- Buying myself a bunch of flowers. Which I did yesterday – orange roses and purple irises…simply beautiful.
- Walking along the Quayside followed by halloumi and falafel salad in the Staiths Cafe
- Olives – always feel special however often I have them!
- Getting cosy on the sofa with the dogs under a soft, warm blanket
- My Satsuma hand cream from the Body Shop
What are a few of your favourite things?